Navigation Toggle Navigation Toggle Close

Emergency: 9-1-1
Non Emergency: (705) 949 – 6300

How To Report a Collision

In Sault Ste. Marie and Prince Township, the majority of collisions are handled by the Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) and not by police.

Collisions which police will attend

  • The collision involves a fatality,
  • A personal injury collision where a person is transported to hospital directly from the scene of the collision in an ambulance,
  • Any criminal activity involved in a collision (e.g., impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault),
  • Collisions involving a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver (simply not having an insurance card does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not insured, these collisions can be referred to the CRC),
  • Any collision involving damage to highway or public property,
  • All collisions involving a municipal, provincial and federal government vehicles
  • Collisions involving transportation of hazardous goods where the hazardous goods have been compromised.

If the collision you are involved in does not meet the above criteria, but does meet the minimum requirements set out by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act to report the collision to police, you must report your collision to the CRC.

Ontario law requires that drivers who are involved in a collision must surrender their driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle information to the other involved drivers.

  1. If anyone has suffered an injury resulting in the person being transported to a hospital or there is any evidence of criminality CALL 911 right away.
  2. If it is safe to do so and the vehicles can be moved, move all involved vehicles to an area of safety.
  3. If the involved vehicles have over $2,000 combined damage or someone is injured, you must report the collision to police.
  4. Use your mobile device or a pen and paper to record where the collision occurred, the license plate number, as well as the year, make, model and colour of the other involved vehicle(s).
  5. Exchange driver license and insurance policy and company information, ask for and record the drivers license information to confirm the drivers full name and address and also obtain a phone number from the other involved individual(s).
  6. If there are any witnesses ask for their information as well.
  7. Attend a Collision Reporting Center during the business hours, see below.

If you need to report a collision you can contact the CRC by calling 705-253-1600 or emailing

Please report collisions within 48-business hours. The CRC operates on a first come first serve basis. During business hours, please arrive at the CRC no later than 4:00 p.m. to ensure your report will be taken that day.

For more information please visit the Accident Support Services International website.

Collision Reporting Centre             

Telephone: 705-253-1600


580 Second Line East
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
P6B 4K1

Hours of Operation

Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays - CLOSED