The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service is looking for individuals with an interest in becoming a sworn member of our service. Please read the below requirements. If you have any questions about the process, please contact For more information, please read the requirements below.
If you have any questions about the process please contact Sergeant Derek MacFarlane in Uniform Recruitment via email email@example.com or by phone, 705-949-6300 ext. 238.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be physically fit and mentally able to carry out the duties of a Police Constable.
- Have successfully completed at least four years of secondary school education or its equivalent.
- Be prepared to undergo a thorough interview, comprehensive background investigation, as well as medical and psychological tests.
- Produce a current “Certificate of Results” awarded by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police through a licenced vendor.
- Never have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Have a valid G Class driver’s licence with no more than six (6) demerit points.
- Be qualified in Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillator).
- Be of good moral character and habits.
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service’s selection standards are high. If you are not presently able to minimally meet all of these standards you may want to consider taking time to improve your level of competitiveness.
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service is a modern and progressive organization that is proud of its history and excited about its future. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including health and life insurance plans, a retirement plan, along with allowances for clothing and uniforms.
Recently new standards were put in place by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP). Applicants are now asked to complete the OACP Certificate Testing program. To prepare yourself for the required fitness testing, visit Police Fitness Personnel Ontario (PFPO) for a full breakdown of the tests you will be required to perform.
Reminder – all recruit applicants MUST achieve a level 7 or higher on the 20 metre shuttle run in order to move on in the process. Download the Shuttle Run file to prepare for the test MP3 WAV M4A
The Recruit Constable Application and Application Survey can be found here.
Please contact Uniform Recruitment for further information on how to submit your application.
ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
It is the applicant’s responsibility to advise of any changes to their contact information or application.
Preference may be given in the selection process to qualified applicants with ties to the community.
Conditions of Employment for the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service
It is a fundamental condition of employment that you agree to:
- Submit your fingerprints for the purpose of a complete records check.
- Observe the Rules and Regulations and instructions laid down for the government of the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service.
- The verification of the statements made on the Recruit Constable Application.