Update: Stevens Street Investigation
Around 2:00 a.m. on January 14, 2022, officers responded to a report of a gunshot in a residence in the 0-100 block of Stevens Street.
Upon arrival, officers found a victim suffering from a gunshot wound. They were transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The subsequent investigation located a sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun in the residence. Further investigation determined the victim, 65-year-old Joseph Pauze, was handling the gun when it accidentally fired and struck him in the leg. Further investigation revealed the accused is unauthorized to be in possession of a firearm, and the gun had been previously reported stolen to the Ottawa Police Service.
On January 21, 2022, officers with Investigation Services arrested the accused in connection with the incident.
He is charged with,
- Careless use of a Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition x2
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of a Weapon Obtained by Commission of Offence
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order x4
- Fail to Comply with an Undertaking x2
He was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in court on March 21, 2022.