Safety and Security Tips to Prevent Property Crime
We recommend everyone in Sault Ste. Marie and Prince Township to take a proactive approach to keeping their home and property safe. If you utilize some simple Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) techniques you can greatly reduce the risk of becoming a victim of property theft or a break in.
- Maintain clear line of sight from inside your home. Keep obstructions such as trees, shrubs and plants trimmed or clear of areas where you can see your property clearly.
- Install an alarm system and video surveillance.
- Install quality locks on your home, garage and shed and keep them locked at all times.
- Store property out of sight to eliminate the temptation of theft. For example, when you are not using your bicycle, keep it locked in your garage, shed or somewhere people can’t easily access it.
- Use fences or other markers to clearly define your property.
- When away, have a family member, friend or neighbour collect your mail, packages and maintain the property (shovel snow, cut the grass etc.) to give the appearance someone is home.
- Keep curtains, drapes or window coverings slightly open; that will give the appearance that your home is occupied.
For more information please visit the Government of Canada’s website on home security.