Deputy Chief of Police
From its humble beginnings in 1871, the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service (SSMPS) has grown into a modern and progressive organization committed to the continued refinement of its community policing service delivery model. With an approved 2023 budget of 33.8 million and consisting of 215 members (150 sworn and 65 civilian), the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service delivers proactive, intelligence-led police services to approximately 75,000 citizens of Sault Ste. Marie, nestled in the heart of the Great Lakes, equidistant between Toronto and Thunder Bay.
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Services Board is seeking a seasoned, progressive and forward-thinking law enforcement leader to serve as its next Deputy Chief of Police.
Appointed by the SSMPS Board and reporting to the Chief of Police, the Deputy Chief provides strategic leadership in ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of SSMPS as a modern, evolving and proactive public safety partner with the community.
As an ideal candidate…
- You bring several years of experience in progressive supervisory or senior administrative positions, ideally in a municipal policing environment.
- You demonstrate a deep understanding of the emerging issues in community safety and enjoy a positive reputation for your understanding of the impacts of trends and technology while leading proactive change in this space.
- You are a role model for inclusive and inspirational leadership that is consistent with the principles and values of a professional, progressive and modern police service united in a culture of continuous improvement and service excellence.
- You have demonstrated a passion and commitment to supporting staff, uniform and civilians, by creating a highly inclusive environment of equity, integrity and fairness where decisions are made and applied on a consistent basis.
- You are a respected team leader and mentor committed to the ongoing professionalization of a service to respond to the evolving nature of policing.
- You are politically astute, creative, solutions oriented and able to act in a timely fashion to solve critical situations and explore alternate forms of service delivery while maintaining strong relationships at all levels.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.